View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a Slashdot style GPL license deathmatch.
Why not? I'm in the mood ....

Personally I feel that "free as in freedom", not "free as in beer" makes more sense. Why shouldn't somebody be able to make money from free software.
GPL doesn't prevent anyone from making money. In fact, by using it on the tablets, Nokia is making money from GPLed software.

What you probably mean is making money from non-free software, using e.g. LGPLed software as a base and adding only some icing.
I don't like that idea.
If people want to make money from non-free software, they should also need to use non-free software as a base. Like with Qt as it used to be: Either GPL or commercial. Use it for non-free projects? Fine. Pay. Use it for free projects? Great! GPL.

(Then again, I'm also a GPL2 type of guy instead of a GPL3 type of guy.)
OMG! And probably you get blisters from holy water... (I should have known from your comments on touch-screen-UIs and d-pads...)
I never understood how somebody who basically agrees with the principles of the GPL2 could object to the GPL3; it's the same principles, only better protected now that time has taught us some lessons. But that's a completely different story I only bring up here to make this thread slip completely OT ... Abortion, anyone? Gay marriage? Capital punishment? Or gun control?