View Single Post
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by mikegioia View Post
I'd be in favor of some form of monthly payment, too. $1200 is a lot to cough up at once, but also, if we could know now the payment will be required in 6 months, I/we could just as easily sock $150/mo away to simulate a monthly payment.
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
is there a way to pay per month «kidding of course » ? Because the final estimation is very high. Living in Canada as Endsormeans pointed it out...we have to expect taxes, vat, shipping fees «in sus» ! I did not buy another phone, waiting for the Neo but at this price.....better stick with my old n900 or take a new androphone! really I was ready to spend maxi 700$ or 100$ more but starting to 900$, it's psychologically impossible. And when it will be out, won't it be obsolete ?
I feel your pain guys. I would suggest (perhaps Neo Team disagrees), setting up a paypal or bank account to put money into every pay check or once a month and then have it automatically send payment to Neo Store/account. Not sure if this would work but it could take the pressure off of the Neo team form processing managing these smaller payments. Or maybe it's silly and you can simply save money monthly .

Originally Posted by hxka View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...48&postcount=5
Tens of thousands, probably hundreds
Thanks hxka, but these are based on the previous euro. It would be nice (though perhaps too much work) to keep these tier numbers as current as possible.

Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
If you want more people to buy a Neo900 you have to target the kind of people who would be interested in it.

My opinion is that you shouldn't waist money on advertisement for the masses as the masses won't be interested in the Neo900. .......
I agree Malakai that money should not be misused. However similar as to what I believe endsormeans was eluding to, is that sometimes people don't know that they wanted something until it is illustrated to them. And this could be advertising, but I think in this case word of mouth and getting key social type interested will do more than one simple show (although I like the idea). The problem is there is currently no tangible product that can be fondled and tested, believe it or not a lot of people just can't image how this will work ... they need to have it spelt out for them. I think this can be address with better graphics and illustration of how this device with older hardware can better than the latest Apple/google devices.

But if the wikileaks and snowmen leaks have proven anything it is that scaring people won't work in the long run over convenience. So I think this project need a multi targeted message for tech davy, tech enthusiast, tech trendies, tech followers and etc (some could overlap of course).

Here a guy who had some success in gathering interest for expensive products http://ahprojects.com/projects/

Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
.....With continued interest and some more small donations I hope there would be a second run, and it might be known by then how to lower the unit price, if newer components come on the market or some unsuccessful features are cut out. Either way it seems worthwhile to me, if only for the open documentation and designs that are being produced along the way, which are likely helpful to other or future projects.
Stevenc reiterates an important point. That the only way to give future project a hope is to show that there is a market or possible funding. The first round cost are more like a an angel investment rather then a kickstarter support, since with kickstarter you see and track the number of interested people in pretty much real time. Of course the incentive knowing that you would get your money back if it's not funded, helps. Of course even on these crowd sourcing site, it's never a guarantee that the product/service or project will succeed or deliver exactly what was promise.

I truly believe that this type of product is the future of consumer driven manufacturing. You see it all over the place, where big company jump on board an idea once enough people inquire about something. There's already a few products that are doing security, but this is the next level ... by passing the restrictions of corporations, gov's and 3rd party interests to pave a path for an open hackable phone that we control the future of. I would be surprised if people from companies like google, blackphone, and others weren't watching the outcome of this to gage interests.

So this is a special opportunity that may not happen again in this form (hopefully just the beginning). So I would suggest if in fact you do have about 6 month to do what endsormeans suggested and start saving a little bit at a time.

x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post: