View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by szopin View Post

Mission accomplished?!?

Wait... what the f.... ???

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Oh, so not always.
I also have problems because the permissive multitasking with N900. I use FM-radio alot, almost daily. I like to surf on the web at the same time while riding a bus. Quite often when using a news portal, I tend to get 2 – 4 windows open and then FM-radio is swapped out. Also if I try to take a photo while listening radio, often FM-radio is swapped out and stops. Sometimes N900 becomes quite unresponsive. I'd rather have web-pages swapped out than FM-radio.

I've tried the same use case with Galaxy Mini quite much during the xmas break. No problem, although I had web pages open, FM-radio listening and camera. Radio did not get swapped out nor failed to play. The device keeps going being responsive.
Galaxy Mini does have 128 MB more RAM than N900 though, but that was not the reason it worked because I also opened much more web-windows.

We cannot expect a normal smart phone user to use top or similar programs to monitor what happens in the system to make sure it is fluent to use the device.

Android could have a developer-switch, when activated would turn into permissive multitasking mode with a warning. BUT, if this would lead to "lazy"-applications which would rely user to run it always in this developer permissive multitasking mode, it would be a bad thing and would harm the "ecosystem".

N900 was not and is not suitable for a "normal" smart phone user partly because the "real" permissive multitasking. Plain user would not accept the device going unresponsive so often, but would think the device is broken somehow. For us who know what is happening and why, it doesn't matter so much and we can try to avoid the situation by not starting too many processes.

If Nokia would sell Samsung Galaxy S3 type of hardware, which would have PureView-camera, and OS would be (community driven) Cyanogen Android with Qt-support included; I think most of the t.m.o users would be happy, and at least Nokia stock owners because that kind of device would sell alot, tens of millions.
Why would it need a developer switch? If you're going to be all 'I want it my way' anyway, then just load up a custom ROM and do it ANY WAY YOU WANT--even with kernel tweaks and all RIGHT from the UI. Like so...

In case you wondered, yes--that's my own phone running AOKP (Android 4.0.4). Here's a launcher snapshot just for show:

It just seems like you're going to an ARJUOUS length to get to a place that's already been explored in Android and explored well and thoroughly a long time ago. Been there, done that.

You want ways to monitor the system? On top of all the battery, bandwidth and other graphs and monitors it already has built-in, you can also peek at tools like SystemPanel. Have a look at it. Good enough for ya?

Plenty of choices of such tools in the Android store. This just happens to be the one I like and use. I do not feel a lack of suitable and impressive applications nor do I feel as if I lack any ability to drop to a shell to bash around or ssh out or anything. Nokia might never be able to make up for so many setbacks for as many leaps and bounds of improvements as Android has made in very short time. It's a shame, considering how far ahead Nokia HAD been. "Potential Unrealized."
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR