View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes.

0.3.6-tiny is a stripped/limited version that does not have dhcpd enabled.
The tiny version was made specifically for the people who have bad kernel partition so that it can fit in there... It's recommended to use 0.3.7 for everybody else.
There are versions 0.3.6 and 0.3.7? What??? Where does one even find these? They are not mentioned in the README, nor wiki page, nor can they be found under http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot/ubiboot-02/. I just took ubiboot-02_0.3.5_301013.tar and flashed zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02-small_060114 as it seemed to be the latest.

If I'm honest, I found the documentation (README and wiki) to be out of date and incomplete. After a lot of pain, I eventually figured it out.

Parts of the README I found confusing:

The corresponding "G_OS<x>_<y>_FILE" is the path to the bootable kernel.
Only in the comment in the ubiboot.conf file does it say that the path should be relative to the ubiboot FS but there was nothing to explain the layout of ubiboot FS and no way of knowing the layout without telneting in (which telneting itself may not be obvious to some if they used the "small" kernel which appears to be the latest, as I did).

The G_OS<x>_PARTITION and G_OS<x>_NAME identifiers define the partition
where the boot kernels are searched for.
For example, Harmattan kernels are by default located on mmcblk0p2 in the
/boot/ directory, which resolves to "/boot/Harmattan/boot/" in the script.
When you are running Harmattan, this dame directory resolves to /boot/
It's not clear that the "Harmattan" name is taken from the value of G_OS<x>_NAME. Again, I needed to telnet in to understand this properly.

It's not clear that each rootfs should be copied/unpacked to a dedicated partition unless handled by a preinit script. This really confused me. Combined with the problems mentioned above, I incorrectly thought that maybe G_OS<x>_<y>_FILE was being used to specify the rootfs location as well as the kernel.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I just hope this will help others to avoid the problems I had. Although it would also be nice if you would fix the documentation juiceme.

It might also be nice to have a new ubiboot with a recent kernel and recent kexec tools.

EDIT: One more thing, my experience would have been far less painful if ubiboot had printed an error message to tell me that my kernel image was not found before running kexec. I had no idea why it was failing and thought there was a problem with the kernel I built.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2018-03-02 at 18:38.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: