View Single Post
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
FWIW, I am NOT going to subscribe to the New York Times on my new Kindle. It has nothing to do with money.

The fact is, page layout and color are part of the "body language" of a story. The Kindle doesn't give you that. It leaves the story bland and you blind, relatively speaking.

The reason the world is color and not black and white is that color gives you more useful information. Black and white is ok for certain artistic effects, but Nature clearly prefers color, and so do I.

For historical reasons, much material has been published in black and white. Much writing has represented speech, which is not enhanced by color.

Black and white etext is something that will be popular for a very limited period of time, just as black and white tv was.

The Kindle screen size and other features are works of genius for this particular instant. Larger color tablets are the wave of the future. Mobile phones are the real niche product.

I can picture a time when I abandon my PC entirely, and just work with several smaller devices -- perhaps three or four.

For now, color tablets are essential, till specialized devices like the Kindle leave them in the dust.