View Single Post
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I may have the opportunity to make a computer purchase in the near future. I have gotten good ideas from the community before which lead me to the Clevo barebones, this was a great system back in ~2016.

I am looking for
-Linux driver support for all hardware
-backlit keyboard(red only is ok)
-several USB 3.0 ports
-removeable battery(bigger is better)
-slotted memory
-HDD and SSD slots
-AMD64 compatible CPU
-Probably an Nvidia GPU(blech!) with Intel mesaGPU for low power tasks
-15" size
-rugged/robust design

The CPU and even GPU are not such a priority to me except that I sometimes have to use virtualbox to run solidworks so need that AMD64 architecture.
I used to find the Clevo barebones with desktop CPU/GPU but their website no longer offers that desktop components option, it is also getting very difficult to find a removable battery
I dont care about thin, I would love a 40mm thick block of machined titanium with socketed desktop components, but then I remember the luggable computers(Compaq 286cpu with a monochrome green 6" screen and 2400baud modem). I would love to find a US mil standard 810G lappy but I could afford it like I could afford a fighter jet and fuel. What is cool about some of the real ruggedized computers is they still include a real RS232 serial port.

I would consider a Pine64 but they only make Allwinner ARM processor laptops, pretty much a 2014 tablet power level CPU, cool for their purity of driver and documentation but too weak for a working laptop and no x86/AMD64 code compatibility possible.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: