View Single Post
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
There appears to be some devastating news for Moto that looks like it is going to affect Chens keyboard mod. I wonder what that means for this project as well.
Thanks for the link. Looking for more details, I found out Chen is answering a lot of questions and giving informations on the IGG page : https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...to-z#/comments
For example:
I know it’s been so long and I feel really sorry for that… Trust me I did my best on our side, but I understand this sort of problem at Moto, a huge impact…

Think this way, at least we managed to solve nearly all the other issue ourselves or with Moto, and OTA server setup isn’t very complicated compared with previous difficulties. At lease we are no longer in the middle of development.
It affects both versions. For the batteryversion we need to have the signature file to make it official and licensed, for both we need to activate OTA server in Moto. The issue is now the team used to work for 3rd party mods has disappeared, we need someone to complete this for us. I trust it will still be done, but at least will be after this restructuring/layoff finishes.
There is functional restriction with uncertified Mods, at this stage it’s not considered – I also need to be able to sell this product into market to pay the debts for production and R&D. And we have passed all the tests I still believe it can be done, just needs to wait a bit until someone from the other side recover from the situation.
what I understand from here, there are potential troubles on two timescales :
* short term : they need some actions from motorola to be ready for production. Those actions should have been carried by the team that was laid off in Chicago. From his comments, it looks like it should still be possible (problem being not technical, but missing the person doing it), but may take some additional time.
* long term : there may not be a future motomod compatible phone (still too early to be sure of anything on that front...), so could limit sales and revenue after the current phone are phased out. Hopefully, there will still be enough sales to cover R&D costs, and keeps them afloat, and reusing the keyboard design in a future phone like the Lauta-revival Chen talks about could help spreading those costs further (but needs new investments).

Hang on Chen, I hope it will be sorted out quickly.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post: