View Single Post
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Actually, there was a third issue - have you noticed the past tense ? That because the damned micro-USB connector broke! The N900 connector curse coming back to kill its high-minded offspring ? We can only guess!
My Jolla's 1 micro USB broke too, requiring me to urgently source compatible part and find someone with a better hand to solder it.

(and in between used to rotate batteries and charge them with a dedicated universal LiPo wall charger, until the replacement got fitted)

Re-broke a couple of months later and shorted and fried the motherboard. I managed to source a second-hand one from the foroum (and luckily had a recent enough image of the partition, so moving my data was a breeze).

Eventually moved to Sailfish X. That one hasn't taken enough abuse yet.
But that's why I like wireless charging solutions (My old webOS powered Palm Pre and HP Pre3 come to mind) despite not being very efficient : less breakable parts over years of abuse.

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
The colours are wonderful, but the brightness is very weird. It's way too bright indoors, but as soon as you take it outdoors, you can't see anything.
That's the thing I miss most from my old PalmOS-powered Tapwave Zodiac : that was the last PDA I had with a screen specially geared toward out-door readability.
(Only since I bough an eInk reader - Kobo - did I get something outdoor friendly)

Most constructor build screen geared toward looking great on a shelf or at a social gathering (indoor, not very bright light), because that's sells the most : because that's when people notice which screen has the most contrast/brightest colours.

Good transflective screen tend to not have as bright colours in the dark (they'll look a little bit washed out) - they'll look as if having the shittiest screen when compared with other models, thus people buy them the least.

Purely transmissive screens or OLEDs, by using a good backlight source or *being* the light source itself can look great (and so users by them), but once you take them out-door, their light though decent, just cannot compete with the massive light output of the giant ball of fusion power hovering in the sky.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post: