View Single Post
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
In the community we already did the work for 64bit arm devices, this was before the work on Sailfish X had even started and was mainly pioneered by Ghosalmartin for the Nexus 5X (bullhead).
I've completely missed this port.
Thank you for enriching my knowledge.

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
The userspace will still be 32bit and indeed that is a feature because there are no aarch64 compiled apps around for sailfish at all.
Well, that's sad.
I was hoping for a full 64bits support.

- Lots of 3rd party apps are "noarch" anyway (QML + Javascript, mostly - same package regardless of the CPU arch).

- Supporting Aarch64 is basically just adding 1 more available target on their OpenBuildSystem compile farm.

- We need multiple archs due to Atom's 486/IA32 anyway

- There aren't that many 3rd party apps with binary code anyway, compared to Android or iOS. Lots of them are opensource and even if the original author is unavailable, someone else could easily fork the repo and recompile.
Only the few closed-source apps, with a binary component, whose dev is unavailable, and that will need a Aarch64 recompile would be affacted by the switch.

its the kernel HCI driver with the broadcom based BT chips which I already warned Chen against.
Let's hope that by the time of Livermorium, we'll manage to find a way to get it working.

I haven't been paying much attention, is the bluetooth core inside Experia X anyway related to the core in chen's selected PCB ?
i.e.: will the work that Jolla will need to put into Sailfish X's bluetooth driver benefit Livermorium in anyway ?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post: