View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
First, I have to apologize in advance: it's possible that this thread is off-topic, and Alternatives forum is designated for discussing only mobile operating systems, not those of desktops. Feel free to move this discussion to another forum if needed.
Second, as you probably already know, Windows XP extended support ends on 8th of April, this year. less than two months from now. The world is in panic because approximately 95% of ATMs are running Windows XP.
From a personal standpoint: if you are using Windows XP now, what are you going to do in April? Continue using it, and brave the possible viruses and not-fixed bugs? Upgrade to a later Windows, and continue depending on Microsoft's software and its quirks? Move to a Unix-Linux distribution, and endure the steep learning curve and the so-many differences? Forget the desktop, and switch to completely mobile lifestyle, immersing yourself in the browser wars as an alternative to war of operating systems? Dive into alpha-testing of ReactOS?
By 'coincidence', ReactOS has a Kickstarter campaign going on - ending on 21st of February, if I remember correctly. It is mostly focused on cloud computing, but my eyes are on the ReactOS-preinstalled devices.
What do you think?
P.S. Typed on N900 in Leafpad and sent from Fennec.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: