View Single Post
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by guisoliver View Post
Well, we are in app-centric "age", now it's needed to have Android or iPhone, or Windows for x86 to have access to the world. It's really needed? I think that is not true. I am using Maemo and i think that this system and with few apps, i have everything that i need for everyday.
Well, the app-centrification is an attempt to lock us down to their OS, and their own businessmodel.
In the old days before smartphones became todays appcentric "dumbphones", like the nokia communicators or the sonyericsson UIQ , it was not about apps but about information. You opened a exceldocument or a worddocument with help of the OS, and didnt need to launch a primitive "app" to acess a document.
(MS-DOS was appcentric too, btw )
Same with webbcontent, you visited a simplified website optimized for smartphones (or the real website if you got enough patience to wait for it to load over gsm) and didnt need an "app" to open that webpage like it is today.

We dont need more apps, what we need is a return to the old days when it only was about free information, and noone was making lots of money on packing information in primitive apps.

Why everybody says that Symbian is the worst system in the world? Because Symbian does not have 100 million of "fart" and jokes application?
Symbian S80 or UIQ are still today very good oses, but symbian S60 was very primitive and cumbersome to use.
Also, all the real useable software was for S80/UIQ while S60 only had a few categories centered around fartapps and smsapps.

Now, everybody knows that if do you are a DJ, you will need to use a software that don't runs in Linux and you will need to use Mac or Windows. In some cases, only Windows will run correctly your software.
A real DJ uses recordplayers/cdplayers and a mixer, a wannabe dj may use software as a substitute for expensive hardware

If we know that the peoples communicates with applications not with systems, i think that multiplataform development kit can solve this problem that for me, was originated with a principle that "closed source" solutions are the unique option and this will be better for Microsoft and Apple that will ensure the survival of company for more 30 years.
People communicate with information, apps is just an another way to lock you down...

About this subject, i cross my fingers and i believe that the main idea in project "Boot to Gecko" made by Mozilla (https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G), will make the webapps a better viable solution for the app-centric "age".
What we need is to ditch the app-centric stoneage , and make a return to the modern information-centric age.
But there is just too much money to earn on locked down apps
-Remember the wars between internet explorer, netscape and so forth? where they tried to lock eachother out by using propieraty functions in their browsers?
Boot to Gecko may be a good road to break the app-centrification, but unfourtunately it is also a os...
What we need is boot to gecko as a app, that can run on everything

Sorry for my bad english. I promise to everybody here in Maemo-Talk that I will get back to my English course
No problem, i think it was easy to understand

Last edited by electroaudio; 2012-03-26 at 11:04.