Thread: Ext4!
View Single Post
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by evan View Post
thanks, very much for the wiki. I managed to convert /home to ext4 with your instructions.
So now I am dependent on power kernel I guess.
I'm glad to hear that
And yes, you must keep using a kernel that supports the chosen filesystem (like kernel-power).

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
ext4 is faster than ext2 and ext3 for transferring large amount of small files, while vfat is good for transferring small amount of large files. Therefore, if the purpose of your external flash is to store media files, you may not need to reformat.

In addition, without wear levelling, ext4 is not the best choice for flash media. I'm not sure if the latest development has included wear levelling in ext4, you may search 'wear levelling' in t.m.o for detail discussion.
I don't completely agree with your post.

First things first: as said in the post above yours, the wiki is about reformatting the /home partition, not the big vfat one. Maybe this should be made more clear in the wiki page. The "need" to reformat might be an overstatement, it's more like "want" to reformat. Don't forget that the majority of users don't want to repartition/change FS at all.

Anyway, judging by my (simple) benchmarks, ext4 is quicker in copying big files too. A more extensive benchmark is to be found here.

As far as I know wear-leveling, at least on the N900 its NAND flash, is not managed by the filesystem so this should be a non-issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post: