View Single Post
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hey guys,

Nemo has been quite quiet for a long time now, sorry about that. Glacier is still close to my heart but I haven't been able to find time to develop it further. Also since its introduction in 2013, the progress has halted after I finished my masters thesis with Glacier as my practical demonstration of its UX capabilities.

Nemo/Glacier sure does run everywhere SailfishOS runs, even further though. Just as long as Mer/Nemo merge finishes without major showstoppers, I can see Glacier UI being deployed to eg. Minnowboard Max, Raspberry Pi 1/2, all HADK devices, N9 and of course AsteroidOS as fork.

But the work to do this is quite monumental, but doable. I, however, have to cut back some adaptation projects if I get a job at some point, which is unfortunate.

SailPi project has proven to be a valuable source of feedback from the Sailfish community. Glacier was first used to run on Raspberry Pi 2, as it was the only one, which source code was freely modifiable. This made sure that Silica/Glacier applications used a correct shader or screen orientation for example.

I did try Nemo Mobile briefly last week on Raspberry Pi 2 tablet version but something has changed in either lipstick or Qt middleware so the touch screen didn't work properly :/

Anyways, thanks for the interest on this. A FOSS DIY tablet sure sounds like a quite good idea, for example. Only Nemo Mobile can do this right now, with correct rigor, aside from the nonfree blobs that are required to boot the Raspberry Pi 2 board.

- locusf (Aleksi Suomalainen)

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post: