View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Swordfish II View Post
Hey Copernicus did you ever end up converting pierogi files to audio to support this?
Nope, I never did. As I may have mentioned, I'm kinda clueless about hardware. On the other hand, I did finally pick up a USB IR dongle that works beautifully with Linux on my PC, so I've finally started encoding the pile of remote controls I've been stacking up here for years... It looks like I might be able to connect PIerogi to USB IR for free, if it follows the same protocol LIRC uses.

But yeah, setting up the audio-IR interface shouldn't be that hard, either. The trick is just to create an audio waveform that matches the carrier signal being used by the remote (most often, this is something like a 38 kHZ frequency). Then, you just send that audio waveform when you want the LED on, and go silent when you want it off. So it isn't really a matter of encoding the entire command as a .wav file, just the carrier signal.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that LIRC does support this already, although I'm sketchy on the details; so there should be some way to get LIRC running on it right now...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: