View Single Post
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
To be fair nokia acquired Qt in 2008 and before that focused mostly on their (failed) services strategy. Software development takes time.
Qt? Qt has been around for ages enabling cross platform UI amongst other things a decade before Nokia came in. The only thing Nokia did was to inject a small amount of money so they could make Qt Creator. Besides, IMO Qt is just as much of a cpu hog as Java or Dalvik, even though Qt is supposed to be "native". Why isn't Qt optimized more than it is? It's not like Nokia didn't have time to do it.

Someone should make a real comparison in terms of performance between Android and Qt, taking measure of the actual overhead involved. It is not like the mechanisms in Qt comes for free. For instance, the N8 and HTC Magic have roughly the same CPU and clockspeed. The Magic runs Android 1.5 from 2009, the N8 runs Symbian Belle from 2012 and have a very powerful GPU. The Magic UX is more fluent and faster than the N8. Another comparison is the Nexus S and the N9. The Nexus S is far from the fastest Android today, still it runs ICS better than the N9 runs Harmattan.

Back on topic. Acquiring Qt was one of the right things Nokia did, but as it seems now, it was all in vain, because the roadmap (Symbian/Maemo) was nothing but a dream with no base in reality. What's pushing the stock down, is the lack of optimization of Qt on Nokias handsets. If the reason is that Qt doesn't really deliver what is promised, or that Nokia isn't able to make it deliver, it doesn't matter.

The UI. Be honest and pick the best UI for you of every UI you can think of. For me it is Belle or native ICS. Metro is far down the list, Swipe not so far down, more or less along all the branded Android UI's. I think I have most people with me on this except the iPhone crowd perhaps. I don't think the UI is all that important at the end of the day, but the point is, when given a choice most people would prefer just about everything over Metro. Nokia has made both Belle and Swipe, UIs that are praised by people and tech-news. On their flagship devices they use Metro. I mean, of course the stock slides.

The second Nokia releases a competitive device, the stock will rise. It's as simple as that. Why don't they?