View Single Post
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I voted against. So what use is to have a ext3 MyDocs partition? Most people are already storing their documents in FAT32 USB drives already. I don't need symlinks nor fancy features to store my documents, and in fact it is mounted noexec for a reason.
Also, $HOME is already ext3.
Please don't vote against it. If you don't care about all the missing features just let it go. It won't affect you. If you would like to have a very large FAT32 partition you could just set it to the available free space, giving you more potential space than with the current partition scheme.

What you seem to be missing are many things that would be interesting if all that default space was not wasted on one of the worst file systems of the last +-20 years. For example, if we could have a default installation with just a decent and appropriate fs:
  • We could use rsynch or Unison (or any other tool) to synchronize files with a desktop installation without the risk of overwriting files because FAT is not case sensitive.
  • We could preserv all fs attributes
  • We could use "ln -s" to symlink things
  • We could avoid wasting some much space as FAT does
  • We could have modern filesystem niceties, such as journaling (if we wanted), good performance, better indexing and so on
  • We could have much better security, because we could use space in the /home/user partition to place an encrypted folder that doesn't get exported as mass storage
  • We could even have, if we think appropriate, different VFAT partitions (loop devices ponting to files, actually) that are exposed as mass devices
  • We could indeed not have to worry about only having 2GB for the OPT partition
  • We could even try (it seems to be possible) to use AUFS to stack the root partition and the 32GB partition together, allowing the system to only write to the 32GB partition, either getting rid of the 256MB limit problem or minimizing it. When you would install some files to the /usr folder it would get transparently written to the other partition, where the limit is much higher.
  • I think this list could go on.

Anyway, what is been proposed here is NOT an one or zero solution. You would not lose MyDocs (I, to be sure, would love to get rid of that). You can still use it, it can still grow to 22GB or even more than that. It would still be exported. It could still be mounted noexec. Whatever. The idea is that for those that care, we could have a better partitioning scheme.

The Following User Says Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post: