View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
Actually, Palm handled it nicely back in the PalmOS era (both with the hardware foldable keyboards and the on-screen one that can be used instead of Graffiti) :
The keyboard layout is US,
but nearly any additional symbol is available by using "Alt"+key (and those Alt combo follow the same layout as the on-screen display of alternative chars).

By the way, I hope that this upcoming device will easily work with rotation in any orientation. (Or at least can easily be patched to)
I would love using it in "reverse portrait" (with the connectors on the top, like current jolla device).
Useful to plug in earphone (or a powerbank) when in the pocket.

Also doesn't require a dock when charging on a desk while propped up (e.g.: to use with a full sized bt keyboard)
Funny, I actually naturally put my Jolla C upside down in my pocket all the time because I find it more convenient to reach it and then twist the wrist to look at the screen, except when I have to keep it up because of jack/earplugs, and in that case I find it less convenient. Chen's device will be perfect for me in that regard, always upside down in the pocket.

But in any case, I agree with you, patches to allow full rotation cannot hurt and they give flexibility to users with different preferences.

Originally Posted by caa View Post
On the camera specs:

Sensor: The Sony Exmor RS IMX378 (1/2.3", 12.2MP, 1.55μm cell size) would be the current acceptable size/performance compromise for me. Obviously this will probably be too high-end and expensive for your target price. (IMX260, IMX333, IMX362 would be possible second choices.)

I personally wouldn't bother with the dual rear cameras. No dual rear camera phone has yet matched the 'large sensor' camera phones in raw IQ (Nokia Pureview 808 or Panasonic CM1) despite what some benchmark websites claim.

Much more important than 'dual rear camera' for me would be: Addition of a physical shutter release button on the bottom right side of the phone in portrait mode (top right in landscape) which many phones do not have.

The full list of priorities for the rear camera for me would be: Large sensor (1/2.3 inch or larger); low MP count ~12 MP; single rear camera; f2.2 or faster aperture lens; physical shutter release button; on-sensor phase-detect AF; BSI sensor or stacked BSI sensor.

(Front camera is far less important for me.)

Great project by the way!! Nice renderings too, keep up the great work.

Thanks!
I think the hardware shutter button should not be a problem if the phone comes with Sailfish. We can already use volume key as shutter release on the Jolla phones, and this phone will inevitably have volume keys as well. Admittedly, volume keys are not ideally located on the phone since they tend to be on the top left when the phone is held in landscape mode, but this is still a good compromise if adding another button is too difficult.

The camera itself is not an selling point for me, it will not rival the cameras or lenses I use when I really want to take photos which means I will always feel frustrated even with the best phone camera if I only have this at hand when I really want to take pictures. Usually bad image quality is fine for me as I use phones just for souvenirs and actually high resolution would just eat SD card space for no real benefit in my case (therefore I agree on the low pixel count on a bigger sensor), but of course I can't tell better camera would hurt, as long as it does not increase the price tag too much. I also understand that it can be a significant marketing argument, not only for people who don't own other cameras but also for photographers who don't always carry their professional camera with them, and it has proven rewarding for previous "camera-phones" on the market. As you mentioned, it really depends on how much it impacts the final device price.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-08-03 at 16:10.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: