View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Hi, these are stats using the latest version of Marble in the repos, with ALL maps installed (excluding Wales, Scotland and England, which should be covered by Great Britain.) Quick note: Cyprus displays the same "always update available" thing that Georgia had and Turkey and Russia currently still have. I'm guessing Cyprus registers as between two different continents too?

Anyway, this is a quick test using "top" and "free". No htop, sorry. I don't keep it installed on-device (though if you need something particular I can't get you otherwise, let me know and I'll oblige).

Upon launching, with every MoNav map installed, Marble takes a while to load... a couple of minutes I'd say, 3-5 or so. Watching in top as this happens demonstrates that Marble slowly rises in memory consumption, up to somewhere between 35 and 40 % RAM. (This is only RAM, not all virtual memory). However, when launched by itself it doesn't seem to impact the amount of data in swap much.

Launching the MoNav configuration menu actually didn't give me ANY issue in terms of delay and/or memory increase this time (1-2% at the most, although the amount in RAM fluctuates around that much over time anyway, as the N900 slowly swaps - well, slowly on my device, where swappiness is at 20. On a standard device swappiness is at 100, and I think as a result, it will hit this issue sooner). I wonder if this has to do with the fact that I've basically installed almost every map already? *Shrug*

Anyway, so then I "updated" Cyprus - during both the download and install, Marble's RAM memory consumption never rose above 42%. BUT, executing "free" every few minutes showed that it was putting more and more data into SWAP. After that finished I "updated" Russia - the RAM consumption never exceeded 45%, although the RAM being used pushed out all the buffers' space, to the point that only 2600~ bytes where free in memory, with only about 100-200~ more on top of that being buffers. The amount of space in SWAP continued to decrease, down to the point where by the end of the Russia map reinstall, almost half of SWAP space was used. Doesn't mean Marble took up all of it, but a decent amount, certainly.

Leaving MoNav's and then Marble's entire routing configuration menus didn't decrease either the RAM or SWAP space use, except by a few hundred bytes. At this point, I had approximately 8100+ bytes free in RAM (13200+ counting buffers) and still just barely under half of SWAP space free.

This suggests that the main cause of slow down is less the _immediate_ almost-total memory hogging as I had originally thought, but the immediate memory use followed by progressive memory use with each map install - the memory used with each map install doesn't seem to be freed until Marble close.

Which explains why I had continued slowness and occasionally device reboots, etc. The N900 would swap out a lot with each new map install - longer uptimes and especially many installs in a row would both contribute to SWAP space fragmentation, which means slower SWAP write (as flash media slows on writes with fragmentation) speeds on each consecutive write.

As for testing RC2, if that's not what's in -devel right now, then I would much appreciate it if you put it in -devel before I tested it. It's just far easier for me that way, on top of the argument I had in favor of -devel before. If you're not willing to do that though, I'll do my duty as a good tester and deal with downloading the RC2 from wherever not-in-maemo-repository it happens to reside.

(By the way, that female contribution to the voice contest I promised is still coming, I just haven't gotten around to getting her to record...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: