View Single Post
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Hi,

I'm currently trying to come up with a solution for individual ringtones by caller following the ideas from this thread. I am, however, a bit stumped at the moment trying to find out how ringtone caching is handled on the N900. Since I haven't found any documentation on this, I had to experiment. This is what I have so far:
  • (MP3-)Ringtones are cached as .wav files in /home/user/.local/share/sounds
  • This seems to happen the first time a ringtone is played. The information about the cached ringtone is stored somewhere and the ringtone is only cached again when a new ringtone is set, not when the original one changes (e.g. by changing a symlink)

This leads to the following behaviour: If I set the ringtone to '/home/user/link', which in turn is a symlink to '/home/user/MyDocs/.sounds/sound.mp3', at first nothing happens. The first time the sound is played, a cached version '/home/user/.local/share/sounds/sound.mp3.wav' is created. This is the played on all subsequent calls, even if I change the symlink to point to another sound file, e.g. '/home/user/MyDocs/.sounds/other.mp3'.

I have the following questions:
  • Can anybody confirm this behaviour?
  • Is this documented anywhere?
  • Where is the information about the existence of the cached ringtone and which ringtone to play stored?

An additional question would be what happens to ringtones that are originally in .wav format. I can probably fnd that out myself by experimenting, but haven't had the time yet, so if anybody already knows I'd be grateful for any hints.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. I posted this in 'Development' rather than in 'N900' since the latter is for hardware-specific discussion and since I thought developers would be most likely to be able to shed some light on this. If anybody feels this belongs somewhere else, feel free to move this thread.