View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
What I tried to say with my limited diplomacy skills is that even if some have lost the half-full glass vision, it would be at least prudent to give them the benefit of the doubt and not discard any and all their efforts, both community and Nokian, past errors and mistakes notwithstanding (call me an optimist or fanboy, but do we really want more being able to say told-you-so, or open, working devices ?).
There would be no more 'I told you so' if there were no more 'I told you so' opportunities, would there? The only reason why someone can say that is because Nokia met the lowest expectations instead of exceeding that.

Are you seriously suggesting that people should stop having minimum expectations? We should lower our expectations from Nokia to its customers and the community it claims to be trying to foster around its products?

I'm not sure that optimism has been earned yet and I'm damned sure that blaming the community will do Nokia any good, especially when it isn't enabling the community to support its own products. It certainly isn't attempting to leverage any favorable and competitive advantage through its community, anyway. It's brutal to hear--but ultimately it's the customer that spends the money and makes or breaks the brand, and blaming the community is effectively blaming the customer.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
As for the announcements, I don't fully understand how they could announce future plans about devices that themselves have not been yet announced (/me gone crosseyed). That's why I say let's at least wait for the exact announcement of the N9-or-whatever-its-called and THEN we can communicate that this or that is good or bad.

EDIT:

So.. Stskeeps is a lemon ? I might have been imprecise - if you look at the team member list, you'll see that even though there are plenty of Nokians there (which I actually think is an advantage), there are also plenty of people with other affiliations (i.e. sponsored), and it *is* open to the open source community (except for them pesky drivers and stuff like BME - but that is a different fight).
We can wait all we want, but the product announcement isn't much good without satisfying the community's requests for support (open code, better customer support, parts, communication, etc.). Placing that lemon label on STSKeeps is marginalizing an individual and misses the points I've been making.