View Single Post
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I noticed, that last month i got time outs on certain repos, and i don't want to discuss which fault it is(server, nokia's or whatever) i would like to make some mirrors. it will help to get rid of traffic on same server and to have faster connection(as server can be even in your town). a lot of gnu/linux or unix-like distors have those and i think a lot of servers would be happy to help us(some institutes or companies like google that love opensource). For now i think it would be nice to have only packages and needed for installation files on that servers, and all the info about packages on main server. and if for example the mirror you selected(in package manager preference) doesn't have needed file it would try to download from main one. I know i'm not that good in explanation so i'll give an example. i use gentoo. and i sync portage with main server (gentoo.org) but all packages i install are from Israel(i live here) server. Israel server get all the packages from main one once a day. and if i'm trying to install something that is not on israel server yet, it tries to get from main one. also there is option to sync with portage itself with israel server, but as i said before i think it's not healthy as some critical things can be fixed in the same day and you would be able to get them only after local server update.

second thing i would like to have is not thousand repos like extra-dev, extar-testing and so on. as we understand it's the same server, so why just don't make it same repo but mask packages as extra-dev, extra-testing and so on. so if you wouldn't check the this package type in preference the appmanager would just ignore it.

p.s. i think it's connected to maemo community and brainstorm and if i'm wrong - i'm sorry.

Last edited by ZogG; 2010-05-23 at 15:03. Reason: forgot 2010 in title