View Single Post
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I ended up pre-ordering a Neo with the LTE US version. My line of thinking is as follows:
- the Neo900 is expensive, and "one of a kind"
- since it is so expensive, I want to maximize compatibility in the region where I would be using it the most
- since it is so expensive and rare, I probably will not want to travel with it
- if I am abroad, I am probably there on business, so I will want a device "that just works"

So, I bought a Blackberry Z10 relatively cheaply on Ebay for use as a business phone for travel, and I hope to use the Neo900 for tinkering closer to home.

Perfect compatibility aside, for those of you on T-mobile US who would like the global UMTS roaming capability but are concerned about the lack of AWS (Band 4, 1700/2100) on the PXS8, I can tell you that there is a good chance that you can still take advantage of the T-mobile US 3G network with the PXS8.

The backstory to this is that T-mobile acquired a lot of AT&T's spectrum as part of their failed merger. They are using this added spectrum to "refarm" their network so that eventually AWS will be used primarily for LTE, whereas 1900 (Band 2) will be used primarily for 3G. Thus, in many markets, you can already use a device with only 1900 3G on T-mobiles 3G network.

To test this, I purposely bought the international version of the Blackberry Z10 without the AWS bands. I traveled extensively in the past few weeks between metro NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. In almost all areas, I was able to to connect to T-mobile 3G via the 1900 band.

YMMV, depending on what market you are in, but it does seem like the PXS8 is a viable option for T-mobile US users.

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
I think many of us are trying to make that decision. It probably depends on your use case. If you never leave your home region, then the LTE option makes the most sense. If you embark on intercontinental travel with some frequency, then it is a more difficult choice.

In my case, it is an even tougher decision. Under most circumstances, I would have chosen the pentaband UMTS option, without LTE, since 3G speeds have always been good enough for me and I do a fair amount of global travel where the ability to roam on 3G would be useful.

Unfortunately, I live in the US with its patchwork of used frequencies. As a T-mobile US customer, the required 3G/4G band could be 700, 1700/2100, or 1900, (bands 12, 4, 2 [Joerg_rw]) depending on the area of the country I happen to be in. As such, I may have to elect the US LTE option (matching bands: 4, 2 [Joerg_rw]) just to guarantee network compatibility. I suppose I can get a GSM travel hotspot if I do want to use 2100 3G data in the event I do travel outside the Americas.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post: