View Single Post
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
On the topic...
Swype isn't the only implementation of "smear your finger around to write words"... When I was using Android I used SwiftKey, which was way better than any stock VKB, even when they didn't have Flow (their implementation of Swype) yet.
Just look at this layout. All the needed punctuation at hand (Having to switch to symbols just to enter question mark is lame). Double space is dot. Consecutive space compression.

There's so much place for improvement even without Swype.

Also, one size does not really fit all. Chat/E-Mail keyboard is so different to Terminal keyboard, that judging chat keyboard on merits that it sucks with term is just... invalid.
Fortunately we already have great! terminal keyboard.
Yes. I'm actually OK with the terminal input on Jolla. I don't use it enough to have great ideas about how it could be improved, but when I do use it I think it's pretty good. The terminal itself seems to be missing some stuff (can't remember what right now so please don't ask), but I don't use it enough for that to be a big problem.

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Let's focus on standard text keyboard, which is not top-notch ATM.
By standard, do you mean "hunt n' peck for English/other language" keyboard for SMS, email, etc.?

It's writing things in English on the current vkbd that I currently try to avoid doing on my Jolla, and I don't just think that it's a lousy layout, although that is a factor.

I find that even with the word predictions (more like corrections, if I want to type at any speed at all) it's currently a slow, frustrating and RSI-inducing experience, for me at least. Same on the N9 until PR1.2 (or whichever) which introduced Swype.

Solution for my woes? It doesn't have to be Swype, as there may well be better solutions, but Swype is what I know from the N9 and it revolutionised how I entered prose into a mobile device.

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-07-13 at 06:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post: