View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
I am not an expert about TOR (or actually anything related to networks, websites or computers generally), but personally I think it is weird that one would want to sign in to TMO using TOR. Or sign in to anywhere via TOR. OR even use any clearnet websites via TOR at all.
Actually it does make sense in case of private boards like TMO where the point might be that even as you authenticate locally your other identitites remain safe. Think of the case for example where Johnny Ive would secretly be a Maemo fanboy and wanted to participate on TMO but would face ridicule if ever found out

I mean, to maintain anonymity, one should not link him/herself to any profile. If you sign in to Facebook using TOR, TOR prevents others to locate you by your IP. It prevents malicious people/apps to get access your computer, but does it matter when you compromise your anonymity by using public profile?
This case is valid of course, but who uses FB nowdays any more? No security conscious people would ever do anything like that.

Another thing is, that the very limited capacity of TOR network should be spared for those who really need it. Nowadays every neurotic anonymity torchbearer use TOR network to watch youtube videos, read news and browse FB, which:
1. doesn't keep you anonyme if you sign in
2. takes quite a lot of bandwith
Bandwidth is not really an issue any longer. It used to be so you could only trickle a small flow through Tor but the situation is lot better nowdays. And bear in mind that to be truly usable as an anonymous and secure routing agent there has to be a lots of background traffic in Tor, also of the innocent kind.
However I do agree that to use tor to download unnecessary video content is a waste but hopefully that is only a minority.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: