View Single Post
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
As for the subject at hand, I'm underwhelmed by the current state of the Ovi store. It seems a bit hackish, considering it technically DOES interface with the app manager (INSTALL files). I think that if there are going to be two independant channels, then they should feel independant OR communicate seemlessly without feeling "tacked on", as Ovi store does. I understand it's a beta, but they've already failed at trying to launch paid apps, what, twice?
Yes, I agree. The Ovi store is "underwhelming" to say the least.

Why are there so few apps? Does anyone at Nokia actually have a clue?
  1. Why does it cost money to register (sure Apple can get away with this but they were first in the app store business)?
  2. Where is the best app of the month competition (with a significant prize)?
  3. Why did they launch via a cludged web site rather than integration with a nice app manager?

I'm generally in favour of open source (and use it a lot) but I think that a vibrant app store would motivate Nokia to actually support the N900 and future smart phones. But the way it looks at the moment, I'd be surprised if too many people are plunking down their 50 euros and signing up. It just looks like Nokia doesn't care.