View Single Post
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Sounds like you are perhaps in the wrong directory when you execute the chmod command. Try moving to the directory you extracted with command "cd" [directory]. To make sure the chmod worked, you can run "ls -la", it should show something like "-r-x------" [filename], where "x" means you can now run the application.

Symbol "|" is called pipe, and it gives the output of first command to the second command. Most usual use case is probably finding some specific string in a long text output, like: "ps aux | grep [name of the program]". Not sure what you need to press to get it out of n810

Oh, and the "ps aux" above lists all the running processes.

Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Hey and thanks again.
I wasn't sure if the code you included was supposed to be run as two entries or as one long sentence.
I tried both but did not seem to do anything.
When executing the first row I don't get any confirmation or error message.
When executing the second row I got 'no permission'.
I tried checking for active processes using an app i got running in tne status barr but it didnt show there - and i also tried pulling out the cord whilst playing a podcast through gpodder/panucci but the player did not pause.

Sorry for being new to all of this and making helping out a lenghty process.

(Also..how do I get a 'pipe' as in your example for how to check what processes are active using my N810 keyboard?)