View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
You are taking a (calculated) risk with this project already and it would make sense to ship with the most risk-free solution: GMS Android. That way you could differentiate yourself from the rest via hardware and appeal to the maximal number of customers. I would expect that many are missing hardware keyboard, better get this out for as many as possible.

Would be great to make this device as developer friendly as possible. I don't know how compatible it is with the GMS, but making bootloader unlockable as simply as on Nexus would be great. Its another problematic area right now and making it appeal to developer community would surely help you.

I wonder whether its possible to ship with TWRP out of the box. If it is, why do others keep their crippled recoveries ...

I wonder if you could consider keeping the warranty after device was re-flashed, in terms of hardware failure. Again, its an option that would appeal to many developers.

As for Android base, Lineage would be great. Porting SFOS to it would be simpler if it has Lineage base, at least it used to be in CM days. However, I don't know whether Lineage folks make it possible to preload it on the device.

I presume that you want to be ready ASAP since all components get older every day. So, if Lineage takes too long time, ship a working product as soon as you can - being AOSP + GMS.

With the product available for developers, there will be people porting Lineage to it anyway. Maybe it would be great to get in touch with their community and ask if there are any specific requirements that can make their work easier.

I presume many in this community would be very interested in getting such device with SFOS. I do wonder if we can get SFOS images for extra fee, similar to Sony Xperia X program, and how large would the fee be. With Lineage ported/shipped it should be possible to make community port as well. When the choice of chipset is done, maybe its great to check whether it would be problematic with Jolla and/or porters.

Few additional pointers: please include SD Card slot. If possible, please use AMOLED screen.

Good luck!

PS: Ubuntu Mobile is discontinued and there is only a fan-based UBports

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: