View Single Post
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Pali, would it be also possible to explain in simple words, how to "migrate" from backupmenu-multiboot (multiboot combined with backupmenu as selectable option), to U-Boot with backupmenu as selectable option?

Sorry for - probably - silly question, but this whole U-boot thing was never my strong side (time to change that ), so I don't even have and idea how to start tinkering with backupmenu/multiboot combination.

Thanks for this great work, Pali and freemangordon!

/Estel
U-Boot is bootloader which can boot linux kernel - not shell scripts like backupmenu or recovery console. So if you want to start backupmenu, you need to boot some linux kernel (stock, power, ...) and then use normal way for booting backupmenu (e.g fanoush bootmenu or multiboot).

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
// Edit

Also, is it possible to "force" u-boot flasher into flashing combined image with some stable version of kernel-power (kp49, for example), for people that are totally uninterested in using stock Nokia kernel even as fallback? I know that one of U-boots purposes is to avoid constantly flashing when we want to boot different kernel, so future kp/community kernel editions would be just loaded by U-boot, but flashing stock kernel - even as backup - again, somehow creeps me out.
Of course, you can create your own combined image and flash it!

Create combined.fiasco image (you need packages: u-boot-bootimg u-boot-tools sdk-fiasco-gen)
Code:
$ mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 80008000 -e 80008000 -n "<image_name>" -d /boot/<your_zImage> /var/tmp/uImage
$ u-boot-gen-combined /boot/u-boot-<version>.bin /var/tmp/uImage /var/tmp/combined.bin
$ fiasco-gen -o combined.fiasco -g -k /var/tmp/combined.bin -v <uboot_version>
flash it:
Code:
$ fiasco-image-update combined.fiasco

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post: