View Single Post
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi Harri,

Originally Posted by HSuhonen View Post
We at Nokia Care would like to hear your feedback on the Nokia N900 User guides and Get started guide.
Thanks for the initiative!

My questions are the following:
  1. How would you rate the current support offering for N900, in your own words? Please give your evaluation separately for a) the printed Get started guide, b) the in-device User guide (you can access it through File manager > Documents > User guides), and c) the User guide PDF on the Nokia Support site.
  2. What’s your opinion on the current concept of providing end user documentation, that is, a short, printed get started guide in the sales box, and the longer guides available on the web and in-device? Do you expect Nokia to provide a longer User guide in the sales box, or is the Get started guide enough?
  3. Maemo 5 doesn't have a help framework. What’s your opinion, should there be one for Maemo 6? What would an ideal help system be in your opinion?
  4. And finally, how do you see the role of the Maemo community in providing end-user support? Do you think the community could be more involved in the process of making the User guides (for example, as a content reviewer)? What would, in your opinion, be a good solution for the community to get involved?
As I mentioned to you in private previously, I really like the user guide. It's well written and nicely structured. Especially the HTML version on the device.

It is a pity that it's not available in HTML somewhere where we can link to it from forum threads and wiki pages. There is a lot of duplicated effort (and, dare I say, sub-standard answers which have been answered better in the user guide) which could be avoided if the user guide were available as HTML online, or as wiki pages.

I can understand a need for quality control for documents which will be printed & included with devices by Nokia.

Like others I didn't know the user guide was on the device until it was pointed out to me.

I would love to see a searchable & indexed version of the user guide on Maemo 6 devices. Unlike some other posters here, I use on-tablet help a fair bit, my first instinct when I have a problem on my computer with something I can't figure out is to hit F1 or Help->Contents, I'd like something similar on the devices. Especially since I'm offline often when I want to use the device.

Thanks for asking!
Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post: