View Single Post
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by Old Abe View Post
Why were you disinterested in the N900? Is it because your prime need was GPS? ...
Mostly, it was the smaller screen size but I'm also not interested in having a cell bundled.

Screen wise, I find the N810 about as small as I'm willing to go. I find panning around disorientating when trying to do remote desktop to a server and fullscreen on even 4" is bordering on unusable. On the other hand, I don't think I'd be carrying around (as much) a device with a screen much bigger than the N810... it's in a sweet spot for me.

On a choice between an N810 and the N900... I'll go with the N810. There are no N900 apps I want that can't run on the N810 (that I know of anyway), the N900 isn't supported any more than the N810 (nothin' = nothin'), I don't feel the N810 is too slow, so any extra CPU is not that meaningful, and it costs more. Besides, I really like that N810 stand thingie. I mean, I never would have thought about it when going to shop for something, but that little bar makes the thing so much easier to hold. I slide my left hand between it and the body and that makes for a very secure grip with a very light touch. I'm really going to miss that with the next device.

Wait! You know... I should be saying the N810 sucks. Everyone should dump theirs on Ebay and buy the N900. Yeah... that stupid little stand is useless, and there's no Nokia support, and it's really slow, and it can't do youtube - total piece of junk

Sigh... (speaking of what I expect to be junk) my CyberNav Mini is stuck in customs right now. Ordered on the 17th, shipped (so they say) on the 18th, tracked via HK Post on the 20th, in Canada on the 22nd, and off to customs... wait, wait, wait... All this time I've been blaming Canada Post. Tracking is a bad thing for government departments.

Oh, and yes, a better GPS would be nice, though it's not a prime requirement for a daily carry-around. With the CyberNav, the GPS can be the primary use if, as I suspect, it will fail at daily use. I'm also interested in exploring Android, so that's another use. Like I said, I'll probably buy another N810, at some point, as a backup.