View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I'd like the orrery to be significantly different than programs like Stellarium
I totally agree with all your arguments, this is why the ideas I raised were things pertaining to "information Stellarium will not provide" in my opinion, although some of these ideas were perhaps a bit crazy and off-topic. :]

Clickable planets and satellites in your solar system sub-app would be extremely interesting to have detailed information.

I totally agree too with the fact that most (or all) the information must be available without internet connection. I've been using Orrery from a field mission at the Kerguelen Islands, and it was great having the information available without internet or even GSM connection, while observing this sky devoid of any city lights. It was just a suggestion for additional but unncessary content like DSS pictures. That would be interesting, but definitely not required for observation. Perhaps it's not significant enough to justify implementing this feature, I admit it!

The calendar idea is great, it will ensure events are not missed by users. Well, the auto-add-to-calendar feature is useful but could be done by the user himself (even if it would take longer), but the whole advantage of Orrery is that it monitors stuff. It shows predictions of upcoming phenomena, so that you see what will happen before trying to search if any particular event is going to happen soon. Best way to avoid missing things, and I like it. Keep up the great work!

Nokiabot, those suggestions seem... Hum... Enthusiastic? I doubt Orrery will ever provide 3D renders of lakes and stuff. :]

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-05-20 at 17:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: