View Single Post
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
The Rapier Bible is the only app in the "Religion" section, and the maintainer is not going to update it for Fremantle/Maemo 5:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Case in point is that I really want to run a Bible programme that will be accesible offline. (I live in Cornwall, where signal isn't guaranteed and work in a hospital which is a no-gprs area). Rapier is apparently a tad challenging to get working but does the job... on the n800. The developer isn't planning to adapt it to the n900 - yes, I already asked him and he most politely replied.
There's an old discussion here of some alternatives, which consist of using an emulator to run some very sophisticated Palm readers, using the general ebook reader (FBReader), using some command line readers, etc. I think those are all still viable options, but not ideal for my particular use case.

i've been using a generic ebook reader for portable scripture access for years. While it works, it doesn't lend itself to adding annotations and marking up the text for future reference, especially not in a way that is likely to be retrievable in another few years. In the absence of any dedicated readers specifically for the new tablet/phone, i am interested in finally remedying the shortcoming of a generic reader. If i do make an app, it would be nice to make it useful to more than just me. I know some people want a concordance and multiple translations available, while for others like me the ability to annotate and highlight are the most important.

So, if you are someone who will, one way or another, be reading the Bible on your n900, please reply to report the following:
  • Is a generic ebook reader or browser sufficient for your needs?
  • Would an updated Rapier program be suitable?
  • Are any of the options in that thread i linked suitable?
  • If none of those options seem right, what features
    • do you consider essential
    • would be nice to have
    • you don't really care about
  • and which version(s)/translations would you use

Obviously i can't promise to actually crank out an app, but knowing what the needs and demand are would help focus any effort i do have time to make. Thanks for your input.