View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The article really is to metaphorical. And, by trying to stay metaphorical, it ignores a number of points....

I can only speak for myself, but I have found a number of use cases for, well, eletronical devices with a graphical user interface that are able to install and run third party applications. (is this abstract enough?) - plus: i have found a number of devices i don't have a use case for. And what should I say? My own experience differs a lot from whats in the article.

Device #1: Desktop PC
Most of the time I work there. No restrictions, everything goes, cool.

Device #2: MID or tablet
small, 4"-5" touch screen device that's a morning paper on the toilet, a movie player on the train and my blogging/voip device when i'm on holiday. restrictions because of size and clumsy touch screen technology, but otherwise fine.

Device #3: phone
very small, 2.2", lightweight, non-touchscreen device for - oh, making phone calls. it also is a low-quality camera (incl. video), navigation device and gets me online (mail+web) if i need quick information, but don't really want to surf for a longer period of time. restricted maybe, but actually it doesn't feel like it because everything it does beyond phone+text messaging is luxury. Main point: the "always with me, don't care if i lose it"-device.

Device #4: mini-laptop or netbook
stricly in bed or on the couch. usually nothing but surfing. when a tablet/MID is too small or (especially) when its text input there is too slow/clumsy. only few restricions compared to PC, only everythings smaller.

So, this is what I have and use and need. I would replace any of these devices if they break twoday. But there's other devices I wouldn't buy because I don't need them:

Standard Laptop:
Too big and expensive. Not comfortable enough for me to use on the couch, not good enough to replace desktop... Simply not worth having one.

Brick-Size Smartphone:
Brick-size (which means something like: more than 120g in weight) smart phones are not what I look for in phones. I want phones smaller. Also, I don't want touchscreens: I want one-handed use with the tactile feedback of real keys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: