View Single Post
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hmm, can this connect with an existing backend (my desktop in Linux?). If so I wonder if I could find out how to have MythTV on my desktop do the encoding/transcoding/whatever and enable my n800 to watch it. (I do something similar but with Orb on Windows).
That's generally the whole point of MythTV and this port; it runs as two separate processes (Backend that does all the recording/etc and Frontend that does all the playback/interaction); as long as your backend is running the compatible version of Myth you shouldn't have any problems connecting to it, though as Yani notes it's not ideal right now due to the playback not functioning on the tablet. Still, extremely cool stuff, I've been waiting for this for a while as the other myth control/interaction attempts have been, well, not terribly handy due to differing interfaces and lack of real capabilities. The one thing that I'd really love to see this project fork/evolve into would be that instead of actually implementing video playback on the tablet, have it so that you're controlling another front end's playback capabilities. That way you can use myth's interface for scheduling recordings, browsing through your videos/recordings/etc, and have it so that when you're done you just pick a video/recording/channel to watch and have your TV suddenly jump to that... I know I know lots of code and no idea how to implement it, but it would be neat no?

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post: