View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It turns out, that despite the name of this thread, the problem is not a source requirement; it is the autobuilder. It would be wonderful to have a program like PyPackager that would make complete packages that are able to be fed to the autobuilder, even though they don't need compiling. That is, the autobuilder will simply take the package and build the deb without attempting to compile anything.

But this is a cheat, and mainly why I decided to go to the non-free repository. The whole point of a free repository with source code that is guarded by an autobuilder is that the packages can be rebuilt for new versions of the OS. If you cheat the system and upload packages like mine (with binary bits), it defeats the purpose.

The ideal situation would be to re-package the binary bits from my package as separate packages. For instance, Matan's dmloop kernel modules could be packaged separately, as could his patched Matchbox window manager. Bundyo's hostwin app, written in Vala, is another tricky bit.

Most of these binary bits have been moved to my easy-chroot package, by the way, if you're looking for them.

And even though I'm uploading to non-free, I'm uploading source packages which include all of my scripts and any source code for other bits that I can get, like the hostwin app.