View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
@wicket: excellent idea. Could you investigate further, make contacts, evaluate opportunities etc?

two little corrections though: we won't ship debian but a https://devuan.org/ which is barebones and only has factory test (cmdline) software to ensure the subsystems are working within parameters, and probably an installer wizard to help users to pick the community driven FOSS OS of their choice. Neo-fremantle looks rather promising already, SHR should work OOTB, and yes since this is a plain linux compliant ARM platform, basically almost all linux flavors that have a armel/armhf build should probably work instantly, with exception of a few subsystems like slider/kbd-backlight or camera that are unique to N(eo)900 and thus need some love to adapt them.

/jOERG
I'd gladly help with this, make contacts and even try building it myself for the N900, but not for a couple months. I'm extremely busy right now and probably shouldn't be spending my time on TMO. Hehe.

[OFFTOPIC]
I'm very pleased to hear that it will ship with Devuan. I fully support this choice. My experiments with running sane Linux include running plain Debian sid with System V init but also running Debian stretch (testing) with the Devuan ascii (testing) repositories enabled. Whilst they both work, both have some package compatibility issues with systemd-less installations but Devuan edges it. I guess Devuan are focussing on their stable release so hopefully things should improve. Another positive note is that it looks like there will be better support from Debian too.
[/OFFTOPIC]

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: