View Single Post
i don't really understand how one could create a development environment w/o considering the need of external libs (yes, Qt is great but it doesn't cover everything).

so far it looks to me, the way to go would be:
- get debian's armel packages for the libs needed, convert them to tar balls with alien and install them somehow
- play around with links, global variables (like LD_LIBRARY_PATH, CFLAGS, ...) and flags like -I or -L

i did not yet go this route, since i got hold of an old laptop which i try to convert in some kind of compiling station (since scratchbox and sdk are not available for 64bit).

all together i really doubt, nokia wants people to develop for maemo at all -- delivering 32bit only, a bunch of chroots, different tools, little up to date software (try to install a recent automake in scratchbox), everything mixed up and hardly documented ...

installing all necessary stuff on the n900 itself should be possible -- theoretically.
but with that crappy busybox and crippled debian i doubt it would really work w/o breaking half of the devices functionality.

why had they to reinvent the wheel and why so badly?