View Single Post
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
1) Can we please stop using this hashtag. It's embarassing.
Sorry, I will not. Jolla chose it their tag, I will use it as I see fit.

2) How can it possibly ever hope to be a sustainable model if Jolla don't take a cut? I'd be very worried if they didn't take a cut. It'd pretty much be signalling that they don't expect active Sailfish users or app development to grow at any time in the forseeable future, and therefore any revenue from it would be useless; a tacit admission of defeat. Most developers who might be willing to test the waters would see it as a very bad sign. Besides, what reason would Jolla ever have to help, facilitate or support Sailfish ports to Android phones if they're never going to make a cent from it?
Well, I hope they will grow a substainable model by managing to license their stack to interested parties, and producing hardware people buy. I would rather want them to invest in open source foundations for the missing infrastructure, rather than try to follow the lead of Apple and Google here.

I do not see apps revenue could possibly cover the cost of developing the infrastructure for that; and if money is the motivation for developing an application for SailfishOS, the developer will be sorely disappointed as for the return of investment. I wrote a few applications, for my own use and satisfaction; it still is a pain to get them released, as many needed components are forbidden. That is where Jolla should focus, to remove roadblocks from the current willing community of developers. For those, the donation system could be a source of satisfaction, rather than of steady income.

3) Implementing Flattr support (or similar systems) is insanely easy. Like some of the other features on the roadmap, how did this not happen sooner?
I suppose that some commercial understanding was needed? Also, there were probably more urgent tasks. There still are...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post: