Thread: BBC Micro
View Single Post
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia
I have modified the emulator a bit so it runs more smoothly on the device. So there are four things I want to sort out before I release anything.
  1. The upstream licensing of Beebem. But this has been verified to be GPL, so we're okay.
  2. What to do about the ROMs which the emulator needs to boot. I might add a screen on first running the emulator which explains that they need to be downloaded, and requires the user to consent to doing so. (That could be extended to a generalised disc image downloader, later.) On the other hand, I might release an early version and require people to find the ROMs themselves and install them manually.
  3. Remapping the hardware keyboard to match the BBC's somehow.
  4. Replacing the beebem menu system with Hildon menu widgets.

For the hardware keys, I'm thinking of turning the N900's comma key into an extra shift (I'll call it "ultra" here), so that the keystrokes which don't exist on the N900 can be typed for the Beeb (most importantly, so that ultra-[P/0] can be f0, ultra-[Q/1] can be f1, etc.

Here, have another screenshot. This has the processor speed of the Beeb turned right down so that the FPS will be higher.