View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Don't forget Jolla are basically maintaining Mer by themselves.
That's a good point - they don't need to write that all themselves but the maintenance burden is certainly significant.

That's partially the reason of using ancient non-GPLv3 software that's often no longer maintained upstream, meaning even more maintenance.

Personally, I think this another bad decision on the same level with keeping some their own code closed - it just means more work for them and hinders community participation. And as with the closed components (Silica for example) I still don't see any benefits from this for Jolla.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Yeah but that's someone else's problem, right? Their part of the bargain is to produce hardware that can use a mainline Linux kernel, the rest is up to various other communities.
Sure, but do all of their backers understand that ? There is a significant amount of hype around the whole thing, so I'm afraid backers with less experience with mobile platforms and/or distribution development might be setting their expectations a bit too high for what will be possible to run on the devices on release and how well it will work.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: