View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It's fun to hear how different the things can be in other countries... I assume banks are a major source of NIH, being such a closed sector with huge legacy in their IM systems...

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Huh, in Belgium we get card readers where you have to enter a couple of codes every time you want to log in to your account or do a transaction, the card reader then displays a code which you have to enter on the website. I've always assumed this was the same worldwide!

I'm aware most or all banks now have Android/iOS applications, but I have no idea how they work. At least I presume they don't require the card reader.
In Finland some banks also use the card-reader thingy to create the OTP number, altough most use the paper-slip mailed to the account holders.
Could be the electronic thingy is cheaper for them in the long run, compared to what it will cost over the years to mail a few letters to everybody couple of times a year.

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
in Denmark we dont accept cheques.
Oh and we have this key called nemID - which is 2FA for almost any online activity in DK public services, banks. Its also used for identifying who you are (by verifying against registered PI in central database).
you get nemID by default on a paperslip, but can also purchase an eletronic token.
Some banks in Finland use also 2FA in addition to the paper-slip containing OTP numbers, at least one that I know will require 2FA with a SMS verification to your phone if you create a payment to recipient you have not sent moey before.
That's 4 authentication methods for one transaction; accountnumber+password+OTP+SMS

Originally Posted by tealc View Post
I think there has been a misunderstanding on how bankid is used in Sweden (and perhaps other nordic countries too). Yes, you can log in to your bank with bankid, but in most cases you can also log in to your bank with a key fob like device or similar. The problem is that the bankid identification has been adopted by many other online services in Sweden and there bankid is the only option.
* All services provided by the government
* Stock/bond exchanges
* Credit card providers (not banks)
* Insurance companies
* Retirement fund companies

You will be blocked from many important online services unless you have bankid and changing bank will not solve the problem since the other bank also provides the same bankid. We need an open standard for online identification.
In Finland this is similar but luckily not exactly the same!
We also need BankID for all those things, for example you cannot fill your tax-returns or register your car without it.
However it is enough to use the paper-slip OTP verification with all of the services that require authentication, you don't need any Android silliness to do it.

Originally Posted by claustn View Post
Aren't we a bit off topic? Now it turned to be a comparison between banks
Do you think that updating Alien Dalvik will improve the additional power consumption derived by using it? I hope it doesn't turn out to be the opposite, adding more features.
You are absolutely correct there; however this discussion is much more interesting to me!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: