View Single Post
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
What features would one want from a bank, except money keeping and transfer?

Depositing a cheque without physically being present in the country! That is something I like to do so much (and bitch so much about the need of Alien-Dalviking it through some untrusty random uploads of APKs). This is mostly relevant in US and Canada, but happened to me in UK as well (hello University of Warwick and awards you are giving to some of your graduates after they graduate ... so often after they've actually left the country). Actually, some French grant agency was also paying me using some cheque-ish type of thing, but it was tight solely to the French post-office, so then there was no way of cashing it without being physically in France anyways.

Since I already got that much offtopic, a related story: the best part was the French approach of reimbursing my train at the end of my stay. I asked them if this could be sorted out before I actually leave, because, after I will take the train, I won't be able to go to the post-office and cash it. They said "not possible", however, they could do Western Union instead. So they turned out to pay something like 100 EUR at the end: around 25E was the train ticket itself, the rest was a transaction fee... I was actually feeling I should have never told them about those 25E...

Last edited by Wolda; 2018-06-15 at 04:48. Reason: missing quotation

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post: