View Single Post
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Thanks for the response earthwings.

I was wondering if full continent data be loaded through say http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm for offline use. Where does monav fetch the data from? I might do manual or wget based download to get the whole US routing data instead of selecting state by state --which 50 is a big number for a manual operation
Initially any .osm file can be used, but it must not be too big. Monav has a file size limit of 4 GB for its output files IIRC. Therefore you cannot loat the whole planet. Restricting it to the US may work though to create a large monav map. There are two tools needed for it, one is the Monav preprocessor from the 0.2 release of Monav. Use it to generate a gps grid and contraction hierarchies files. The second tool is written by me and generates metadata used by Marble in .kml format. It includes the outline polygon of the map and upgrade information. You can omit that one without major problems (most severe limitation will be that you can only use one map for monav then because the data boundaries are unknown).

I haven't released that tool yet, but I'll do that early next year together with a tutorial describing how to create such maps. Can't do it right now because it's stored locally on a system I don't have access to currently.

If I get a hold on .osm data for the US together with a .poly outline for it, I can do the preprocessing as well and include the full US map in conjunction with the other downloadable country maps. Unfortunately cloudmade doesn't offer that data. I'm not sure if my server has enough free space left as well.

You can get a list of all available monav (offline routing) maps easily btw:
Code:
wget http://edu.kde.org/marble/newstuff/maps-monav.xml -q -O - | grep payload | sed -e 's/<[^>]*>//g' -e 's/^  //'
The "installation" in Marble simply extracts them in /home/user/MyDocs/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/monav/, you can do that manually or with a script as well.

@zimon: I'm afraid the only way is to wait for a bugfix in Qt. At least that's what I'd expect it to be from the backtrace.

Last edited by earthwings; 2010-12-23 at 23:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post: