View Single Post
This thread made me register. I do not have the time to develop apps, but I would love to submit patches to Nokia. Ever since I moved from s40 to s60, I've constantly felt like I want to make small improvements to some of the more unpolished applications.

Here's my suggestion:

1) When you finally reveal the device and its UI, immediately release the code for the newest versions of the applications. Then let us submit patches, accept the best ones fast, and recompile the standard image before you start shipping devices. If you attract talented developers (I'm not saying I'm one of them), you will have a much more mature platform with extra polish and neat small features on day one. The developers get to have a better platform as users. Make sure reviewers get the final product.

2) For all the patches you don't accept due to being too complicated for the average user, implement them as compile time options and create a single separate repository that advanced users can activate. As an advanced user, I understand the necessity for easy to use defaults, but absolutely hate how I have to manually change hundreds of things to customize apps. Maybe then I'll only need to change ten (no one will ever agree on everything). I think it's really important for you to cater to advanced users this time, because they shape opinions, and many of the less ethical ones are currently backing a certain closed as hell platform...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post: