View Single Post
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I must eat my words because a good point appeared.

The number 6800 comes from: 4000 people sacked + 2800 symbian developers moved to accenture (read: you can say no more subcontracting work and it is accenture who has to pay the devs, not nokia).

It was a straightforward conclusion:
1. drop symbian
2. lay off 6800 employers from inhouse

the symbian figure probably isn't that big alltogether when reviewed by todays numbers: 4000 blue collar people sacked around western area and replaced with chinese.

now when doing some research, I found out following:

There are some references that symbian has required approximately 3000 peoples work but gsmarenas story tells that there was ~3000 symbian developers (2800 in my numbers) + 4000 other employers,

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_transf...-news-2566.php

care to quess the size of MeeGo R&D? how many promilles from the whole amount?

and another article in finnish about brain drain that says nokia has 13000 employers and ~50% (tolerance?!?) of them working on Symbian/MeeGo

http://www.taloussanomat.fi/informaa...at/20112959/12

That is pretty close to my initial 6800 people IMO...
We know in 2010, the year before Elop sabotaged Symbian, NOKIA sold 103.6 Million smart devices.

We know (because ZTE have announced it) that the cost of a license for WP7 is $24 to $32 depending on the standard of device it's to be used on. To be conservative we'll use the lower figure of $24

We don't know the exact number of developers NOKIA employed to work on Symbian, articles I've read seem to vary in estimate between 3,000 and 6,000. To be conservative we'll use the higher figure of 6,000.

So let's take NOKIA's unit shipments in smart devices in 2010 (i.e. before Elop's act of sabotage) and multiply it by the license fee per device that NOKIA would have had to pay if those devices had been running WP7 (we'll have to use our imaginations a little here as there's never seemed any likelihood of WP7 devices selling in these vast quantities):

103,600,000 * $24 = $2,486,400,000

Let's then divide that by the number of Symbian developers NOKIA employs so we get an annual cost per developer:

$2,486,400,000 / 6,000 = $414,400

So NOKIA would only make a saving from this plan of action if the average annual cost of employing each Symbian developer was greater than $414,000.

Mmm... do you think that's likely?

And we were being conservative! If the number employed in the Symbian team was at the lower end of the spectrum and the license fee is at the upper end then we would only be talking about making a saving if the average annual cost of employing each Symbian developer was greater than $1,105,067 per annum!

Then of course you need to start factoring in the increased hardware costs because WP7 is much more demanding on resources than Symbian and it supports a much narrower range of components.

You also have to consider the loss of control, M$ developers are not directly employed by NOKIA and so their priorities will not always be the same as NOKIA's priorities.

It seems very clear to me that every single thing Elop has done has been to the benefit of M$ and to the detriment of NOKIA.