View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
If you choose to retain anonymous posting, then, well, welcome to the wonderful world of Mankind. While most humans are civilized, honest and polite, there is always one user who thinks exposing his lack of education is a smart thing to do. The best you could do, then, is to patiently clean up (possibly proactively, by enforcing pre-publication control of all posts by trusted moderators) until the perpetrator loses interest or reaches the age of 14, whichever comes first. This may take a few weeks or months.
Cool! So, this forum is entirely infeasible to begin with.

I've gotta admit, I think a good 20% to 30% of the folks around me have never reached the age of 14, even though some of them are in their 60s or 70s already. There are some pretty crude adults out there today, and there really is no police force available to deal with them when they act out on the internet. (And this takes no account of the folks who "professionally" spam internet sites.)

My take is that there are more humans willing to spend their time to come and mess up an internet forum than there are humans willing to spend their time to moderate the forum. (Especially sites like TMO with relatively small numbers of participants.) As such, if you're going to try and fight all your battles hand-to-hand, the 14-year-olds are always going to win.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: