View Single Post
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
While all opinions here have probably at least some truth behind them and are good, it should be remembered that success and selection of OS's is much more than just libraries and lines of code and coding language. Sometimes what is "best" on coders or developers viewpoint does not justify the selection.

Sorry to say, but most often this is what is forgotten by developers. When making a phone for global markets, there is much, much more in play. Even with the company that Nokia was. Strategic alliances, investors, marketing and of course finally, the consumer. These just to name a few outside the actual tech realm.

Command line does not sell you phones. Period. It is a tool of only few when scaled to the magnitude of what Nokia was aiming to sell at those times. Added value of open boot loader or influence of Aegis or whatever, in grand scale does not matter when you are selling the phone to a consumer. Some say that n900 had great UI, and while I personally would agree to some extent, it was utter sh*t compared to even early iterations of iPhone when the phone was given to average user. This matter. The shine above the hood, not what is under them. It just needs to work well enough with others and shine for the customer.

Adding then to that, is what your OS can do for other companies that add to your, and theirs, revenue. Apple had all in place. Some say, they had the full ecosystem already. Android was already ahead of Symbian when it comes to opening your OS for added value, yes in expense of privacy, but U know, 90% of the consumers dont care. And the 10% doesn't matter.
Apart of the technical implementation, definitely the idea goes towards features (and how ready they were). Then how they are implemented might affect if they will be used or not. But then we talk in terms of usability. I do not remember the N900 being unusable (in terms of UI), to be fair rather the opposite, perhaps even more usable than n9 (im thinking basic usage here). Maybe the connectivity was limited; but when I got my n9, importing contacts from it was a breeze (and remember being extremely surprised by this btw).

Definitely as far as connections goes, Nokia must have been first. I mean, leading mobile supplier at the time and so. Everyone knows Nokia was known for its excellent operator relationships iirc.
What did the N900 not have compared to the iPhone? All that apple had ready was the fact that it was connectable with all the iMac series of products; plus the shiny chrome.

All in all, could it be Maemo was not being "well received" by operators? How open was Maemo? IIRC, Maemo was open to a certain extent. This is definitely a point where android succeeded better.

It is also in a way funny that a walled operating system is more succesfull that any which claimed to be "open". Except android, that is.

Which reminds me, android was perhaps (at the time) more speed-focussed (rather than chrome). I do not remember how well it was working w/r towards the surroundings (as in connectivity etc). Comparing it to jolla, which yes is shiny, but cant be connected to anything, is that a good match (think 2010)?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2017-08-19 at 07:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post: