View Single Post
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by rfa View Post
Turning this off hasn't worked. I'm going to try again on a different computer on the weekend.
Do you get to fastmode ?
(Turn off, hold volume up, insert USB cable, the phone turns on, the screen stays black and the LED eventually shine blue. The blue color is important).

I'll try without using the Sony software, as I think this is causing the problem
Normally you shouldn't need to use Emma - the sony software.
It's only used to flash official Sony firmware (e.g.: upgrading to "Central Europe 34.3.a.0.238").

And even if you need to downgrade/upgrade firmware, I would definitely recommend using http://flashtool.net instead.

Originally Posted by pexi View Post
Linux went without a glitch for me. Just had to install the android tools with a single command, turn off phone, plug it in while pressing volume up (or was it down for fastboot mode?), checking fastboot devices and proceeding from there with flashtool... if i recall correctly.
For the record :

- Volume Up : is for (Android standard) fastboot mode, and gives you a blue LED with a black screen.
That also allows you to unlock the bootloader to accept non-Sony-signed firmware (e.g.: SFOX or custom Android ROMs).

If you still run the stock Sony :

- Volume Down : is for the proprietary Sony flash mode, and gives you a green LED with a black screen.
You can use Sony's official Emma tool for Windows, or the cross-platform Flashtool to upgrade or downgrade firmwares.

If you've unlocked the bootloader and installer an Android recovery firmware (e.g.: TWRP, ClockWorkMod, etc.)

- Volume Down : is for recovery mod, and gives you a green LED with a menu on the screen (either touch screen, or using only the volume buttons for up/down, depending on the exact firmware installed).
It enables you to install firmware using ZIP files on the SDCard.

If you've unlocked the bootloader and installed the optionnal Jolla recovery firmware :
- Volume Down : is for recovery firmware, and gives you a green LED with a screen showing instruction to use telnet to connect to the Phone.
The actual recovery menu is visible on telnet.
(Pro tip : If you're on a Jolla 1 phone - DO NOT use the btrfs recovery)
Using the shell you can do pretty much anything.

Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
For me the lowest volume setting is to loud, and high volume way too high an massively cracking, I guess on the long run it would destroy the speakers.
I would suspect a bug in pulseaudio having an abronally high volume level. (In that situation, the cracking is software audio clipping, not destruction of the speakers)
(The speakers of nearly all smartphones are piezo anyway. They are solid-state).

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Is the display brightness range the same on sfos as it is in android?
Booted the thing in android for the updates and found it is nicely dark on lowest setting. Unprecedented in sfos device i would say.
In Android, you usually set a brightness setting, and that's it.
In Sailfish OS, you generally set a desired brightness and the phone will play with it's actual brightness settings, based on the light sensors.
(The end result might end up being brighter or darker depending on ambient light).

Originally Posted by rogger888 View Post
I just want to say thank you to all those who helped me
Happy that as a community we managed to help eachother.

Last edited by DrYak; 2017-10-19 at 22:18.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post: