View Single Post
Hey,
I'm deciding between the N9 and an Android device, probably the SGS2. Development support is really important to me. For example, I really wanted to get the N900 if it had At&t 3G bands because of its strong development. I would prefer something unique (in the US) like the N9 compared to an Android device, which is why I'm even considering the N9. Do you guys think the N9 will have strong dev, similar to the N900? The SGS2 has this to some extent, but, again, I would like something more "out there."

A short list I made...

N9 Pros:
  • amazing hardware design
  • awesome OS
  • semifunctional ICS port, although if I used this then I'm essentially getting a $400 Captivate
  • NFC, kinda useless
  • really unique
  • powerful enough for Meego (as shown in a stress test I saw on YouTube, it could handle playing a video and updating 12 other apps before Angry Birds crashed it)
  • pentaband 3G (huge because I'm probably going to keep it until late 2013, when I'll almost for sure switch on T-mobile)

N9 Cons:
  • apps (a lack of them, although more are coming)
  • media codecs (can't play most 720p and almost all 1080p files because of a graphics chip issue)
  • 3G only up to a theoretical 14.4Mbps

I realize that "development" is a bit vague, but I guess I mean the creation of hardware-specific things like USB OTG, BT 4.0 (heard the N9 has the necessary hardware but not the software), and possibly other OSs like Tizen whenever that comes out.

Are there any N9 users here that switched from Android and that used to switch ROMs a lot on their Android devices? I would especially love to hear from that crowd.

Thanks for all the help,
vinay427