View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
after every Council action, there was report in "Ask the Council" thread here on TMO, which was used as main communication channel, during last Council period. I agree, that it's quite messy, to jump from one communication channel to another.
Indeed (emphasis added). If the Council don't like mailing lists, or can't commit to updating the blog the least they should do is post to the blog pointing to where they (i.e. SD69) are communicating. I'll point out that posting to the blog automatically creates a new thread on TMO in the Community forum, making it the best of both worlds. (I think it's bad form to reuse the same thread for so long, as the topics could vary so much)

if You ask about communication breakdown between Council and Nokia - yes, but definitely from Nokia side.
A recent XKCD is relevant, including its tooltip:

Anyone who says that they're great at communicating but 'people are bad at listening' is confused about how communication works. -- XKCD #1028
Sure, Matti Airas doesn't seem to be involved in the community as much as Quim was. But that's because the community - unfortunately - is more stable, and he hasn't got the history in building it that Quim did. But that's where the council comes in: help rather than confront; communicate instead of stifle; empower rather than moan.

As for breakdown between Council and Community - can't agree, yet I must admit that communication was quite messy (probably, due to frustrating state of things to report...).
I think you touch on it here, though - and later in your reply:

Generally, there were not much to report - writing again and again about "I've tried to contact Nokians on channel x/y/z, waiting for their response...". "I've proposed meeting to Nokians 3 weeks ago, haven't good any response... Re-sending invitation..." "We've been ignored by X-Fade and Nokians for 4 months, sorry guys, can't report any progress on any issue"... Heck, they were not able to give us even basic numbers about bandwidth usage from Maemo infrastructure!
Transparency about trying is important. As I've said since I came up with the idea of a community council - the concept is to facilitate others and enable people to do what they do best. If there was more light shone on the situation it would've been possible for folks like me & qgil to say to people "c'mon guys, there's supposed to be x FTE on this". Sure, that shouldn't be necessary - but what's more important, getting things done or being able to make a point when things have got even worse?

Similarly, transparency about actions within the community is important. "Plan B" and maemocommunity.org are both attempts to fork the community. There's been vitriol about the "success" of the N9 and Harmattan communities disrupting the vibe here (something that happened with the N8x0 and N900 when they were released as well); and spite about those who want to shut "maemo.org" down; and hints about conspiracies around formeego.org.

I think what this term, above all others, has shown is that being on the Council is hard. It is a responsibility and it is important to go that extra mile. "Continue doing what you're already doing" was a fine motto when we founded it and we had more candidates than positions. When there's a paucity of candidates, those who do form the council have a duty to live up to the expectations they've had in the past - not what they can fit in now.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: